Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Song Of The Day: Amy Winehouse

My song of the day is a song that has been one of my favourites since it was released late 2007, (though my favourite song from the album is probably Wake Up Alone), and although the song didn’t chart very well has been one Amy Winehouse’s critically acclaimed songs. In 2008, final year English Literature students at Cambridge University were asked to analyse lyrics to this song, as well as lyrics by Sir Walter Raleigh, Bob Dylan and Billie Holiday, as part of their end of year examinations in 'Practical Criticism'. Last night while I listened to this song, between the crafty haunting lyrics and the heartbroken lilt I couldn’t help but launch into a pit of dark soul searching about love & relationships in my life so far. One of the album’s most sombre and short moments, ‘Love Is A Losing Game,’ for her came out at a time when Winehouse’s personal life had become more topical than her recording career. For me the solemnity …"Though I battled blind," she croons, tearfully. "Love is a fate resigned.” and the contemplative & soulful delivery of the song was a bitter-sweet reminder of all the charm and ultimately the gutting reality of relationships… sometimes. I had never had such a strong reaction to this song before, I took this as a sign I was perhaps feeling emotionally vulnerable - had I started opening myself up to the idea of a relationship? Was I investing too soon & perhaps was inviting heartache...whichever it was, it made me realise the song needed to be shared.

For you I was a flame - Love is a losing game
Five story fire as you came - Love is a losing game
One I wish I never played - Oh what a mess we made
And now the final frame - Love is a losing game
Played out by the band - Love is a losing hand
More than I could stand - Love is a losing hand
Self professed... profound - Till the chips were down
...know you're a gambling man - Love is a losing hand
Though I'm rather blind - Love is a fate resigned
Memories mar my mind - Love is a fate resigned
Over futile odds - And laughed at by the gods
And now the final frame - Love is a losing game

2 comments:

  1. Who listens to music this deeply, must be a gift i dont have - thanks for the review, i need to get this song.

    A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe yeah Angela, i'm deep like that :)

    ReplyDelete